Lidings law firm proudly announces the appointment of Alexander Popelyuk to the position of the Partner in Dispute Resolution practice of the firm, and Boris Malakhov to the position of the Partner in Intellectual Property practice.
Boris Malakhov joined the Lidings’ team in 2012. Within the firm he specializes on intellectual property disputes and has built up an expertise in proceedings involving manufacturing, FMCG, IT and Eletronics, as well as pharmaceuticals and healthcare sector companies. The scope of Boris’ particular professional interest covers data protection, IP infringements on the Internet and media law.
Among others, Boris has represented:
- global US pharma company MSD in a patent dispute in Belarus against a local generic;
- major German manufacturing company in a dispute re trademark/design infringement by a competitor company;
- Swedish pharmaceuticals holding MEDA in a number of ambush marketing and unfair competition disputes;
- international IT corporation on different aspects of telemedicine regulation in Russia;
- Irish pharmaceuticals company Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals in conducting trademark transfer and protecting its rights in various Russian regions against numerous grey importers and online stores.
Boris is a graduate of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), has a bachelor’s degree in Public International Law and master’s degree in International Economic Law. He is an advocate, author of multiple articles and legal reviews on a wide spectrum of issues dedicated to IP protection, frequently invited to act as expert and speaker at key events of the professional legal community in Russia and abroad.
Alexander Popelyuk joined the Lidings’ team in 2013. His expertise within the firm spans bankruptcy, insolvency proceedings and business restructuring, as well as representing clients’ interests in employment disputes and corporate conflicts, insurance disputes and advising on debt collection issues. Alexander has an extensive experience in advising Russian and international companies from different industrial sectors, mainly from oil and gas, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, manufacturing, IT and electronics, as well as major financial institutions and energy sector companies.
Among Alexander’s landmark projects are:
- Representing the state bank of Ireland IBRC in numerous cases on returning the bank’s assets in Russia;
- Representing a major producer of electrical power equipment in a number of corporate disputes and bankruptcy cases;
- Representing a well-known insurance company in disputes arising from credit risks insurance;
- Representing interests of Japanese packaging appliance producer Ishida in a dispute with one of the major producers of seafood in Russia in state commercial courts on debt recovery for supplied and installed equipment;
- Representing world-famous Ford automotive company in a series of disputes.
Alexander is a graduate of Khabarovsk State Academy of Economics and Law, an advocate, author of multiple articles and legal reviews on the key issues of dispute resolution, debt recovery and bankruptcy, active participant in major professional legal community’s events as an invited expert.
Andrey Zelenin, Partner
Decision to strengthen the firm’s Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property teams is determined by a significant increase in the number of new matters involving large Russian and foreign companies from different sectors of economy. New appointments also enable the firm to deepen the industrial expertise in both practice areas.